Saturday, September 7, 2024

Disappearing Pinwheel

The second project our Rotary Cutters quilt group did for the year, was the Disappearing Pinwheel.  Another very innovative way of starting off with just two squares of light and dark, constructing half square triangles and stitching them together to form a 12" pinwheel.


After cutting this block then in 3 equal strips horizontal and vertical, you are left with a very small pinwheel, 4 smaller hst's and 4 squares.  And then the fun start.  By mixing these blocks up and laying them out in different ways, all sorts of looks can be created like shown below which is the layout Frances's picked

or this one, the look I went for.

It is created with 4 blocks laid out in the order as shown below which really had me utterly confused as I swopped the dark and light fabrics.  And I also wanted the print of the darker fabric to all go in the same direction in each quarter, which my son (not so jokingly) refers to as his mother's OCD.


By adding a second row, the stunning layout below are created which was what I was originally going after, but at this stage I stitched only 2 centers which will each cover our bedside tables.  Otherwise, it might just end up as another unused quilt.


By adding a third row, this beauty is created.


With me still struggling to finish January's Four Patch Posy, two small runners are definitely the way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Patch Posy Completed

After hours and hours of quilting, the Four Patch Posy quilt are finally finished.  As usual I combined free motion quilting with machine em...